Wednesday, May 18, 2016

REI Flash 30 Frame Mod

     My REI Flash 30 pack needed a little loving, so I put it under the knife.  The frame sheet(~3/16" foam) had been shoved, smashed, rolled, and folded too many times.  It looked flat, but once you put anything in the pack it would start to fold, buckle, and become very uncomfortable.  I love the pack and it is in great condition, having only spent $2 on it at a local Goodwill store I figured if this mod didn't work like I hoped it was no great loss and I would probably continue to use it frameless.
       
 
 I had seen on some blog or another someone used carbon arrow shafts to augment their pack frame and I happened to find some arrow shafts at a thrift store for $3 for 6.  After removing the frame sheet, I used the arrow as a spacer and a straight edge to mark the edge to be removed.  A box cutter made quick work of the frame sheet and a hacksaw  for the arrows.  A little bit of Tyvek tape I had lying around from another project and viola...Supportive frame sheet. 
     

 The pack weighed 673g before the operation and only gained 23g in weight, but gained loads of support.
     
     












The days are getting longer and warmer so get outside and have some fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment