Sunday, March 5, 2017

Surreal and Overwhelming...The Mountains are Calling

A long overdue update:

We're a week out, and we can't even believe it!  I had always envisioned the weeks leading up to this adventure being full of excitement and giddy nerves.  In reality, however, that is the farthest from what I've experienced.  I am a very talented "avoider," and have only proven as much in preparation for this endeavor.  It hasn't helped that our sweet and lovable fur-baby ("Stitch") became very sick a few weeks ago and we had to say goodbye quickly.  We were both upset, but I was a bit of a basket case.  All I had intended to do  was out the window and I found myself in a tail-spin of grief and stress, accomplishing nothing.  So...we're at T-minus 1 week with multiple items left on our to-do list.  We did, however, check off a couple of purchases this weekend, making the final list very doable. 

We have been truly blown away by the support we've received.  Genuine questions and interest, and loving support coming from directions we didn't even know existed.  Erik and I work in vastly different settings:  He in a small privately owned retail franchise, and I in a very large, not for profit healthcare system.  People he worked with in past years, and that he works with currently, are popping up with supportive words and requests to join us at various points on the journey.  People that I work with on a daily basis are excited for us and our next steps, many are inquisitive.  And some people who I talk to weekly but don't spend a lot of time with are just over the moon for our endeavor and all that it means to us.

We have widely different emotions on the subject.  We're both very excited; Erik would drop it all and leave tomorrow if it weren't for me and my notice at work.  I however, am a bit anxious for a number of reasons.  It has all become very real in the last few days as my replacement has finally been confirmed at work, we've begun planning my short return in order to tend to some important family needs (we could use any extra positivity/prayers you can muster thrown our way), and we purchased travel isurance today which is the largest single purchase to date, in preparation for this adventure.  Meaning...there's no turning back now!  I try to go into experiences without expectations, and I feel as though I've done a pretty great job of it this time.  If you don't think of what's coming ("avoider," remember?), you can't have expectations.  This counts as a plus when the feelings are a combination of overwhelmed and terrified, and completely taken aback with yourself for the absolutely ludicrous life decision you're making to go gallivant in the woods for months on end.

Despite the nerves and the many items left to accomplish, we are getting very excited and look forward to the time together outside, the people we'll meet, and most importantly, to accomplishing our goal!  We wish that our start was able to go exactly as planned, but with changes in dates and family health, we've had to make some changes to starting plans.  Despite the changes, however, we are super excited to be spending our first day to two with one of our favorite people!  She's taking us out and spending the first night or two with us and we couldn't be more excited to share the first steps of this journey with Sharon.

Stay tuned...more to come, including, gear lists & pack info & weight, final preparations, and our first days out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment