Wednesday, May 21, 2014

India Day 12: Bangalore & Ellucian

After a few days of rough, rocky emotions from all of us, today was a good day.  In my book, anyhow.  We were up and ready for breakfast on time, and followed with lecture and lunch.  The lecture was about IT in India, which I've discussed that I have little interest in.  But today, we heard about how the IT industry came to settle in Bangalore, which was surprisingly interesting.

Our visit to Ellucian was really great!  I was fascinated to hear about the agile business model they implement and how it's working for them!  They work in team groups which have open work spaces on each of 4 floors.  Each floor also contains one of their "CLEAR" values:  Collaboration, Learning, Engagement, Accountability, Resourcefulness.  There were quotes on the walls in the stairwells which referred to these values, along with inspirational quotes on the walls surrounding the work spaces.  The dividers between work stations were low enough to see over and are made of white board material so that employees can make notes as they think of pertinent ideas.  I just kept thinking to myself that "I could work here!"  Mr. Srinivas (VP & Country head, India), and Mr. Kumar (Senior Manager HR) spent a lot of time with us.  They were gracious and kind, and they answered our millions questions easily.  They ordered Subway and served us sodas (I've been dying for a Diet Coke!!), and gave us gifts for visiting (a nice mug).  I was overwhelmed by the philosophy of the company, and by their excitement at speaking with us.  They were absolutely wonderful hosts, and I'm so excited to apply for an internship (they have an intern program at their Fairfax, VA office!).  Or I could apply to intern here in Bangalore, which I'd be totally ok with.  I like this city.  I can't say, though, that I'd like to stay much longer than the 8 week program. 

Anyhow, we received permission, thanks to Dr. Dembla, to stay out with the van late.  We had a few minutes to look around a high end shopping center, and then had dinner at The Hard Rock Cafe Bangalore!  It was nice to relax a bit and not go straight back to the dorm to hang out for the rest of the evening.  We enjoyed a couple of drinks, conversation, and laughs!

A good day is worth 4 bad days--especially when you're half a world away from your family and haven't spoken to them in days.  Shout out to my dad who is doing great post op!!  I hope you're back to 100% when I get home!

 Ria at Haji Ali--You make a wish and tie the string to the tree.  When your wish comes true, you return and remove your string.
 Ria and I at Haji Ali
 The view from the walkway to Haji Ali.  You walk along the walkway through the middle of the Arabian Sea.
 Goa Wildlife--Sort of:  They are owned, but not well managed
 Lord Ganesha at Baywatch Resort, Goa
 Goa
 Cow Among Trash in Goa
"Prison Bars"
Just some of the bugs on night one in the "dungeon"

Note:  In my opinion, our accommodations are not so terribly bad.  The beds are uncomfortable box springs, and the rules are very tight, but eh, I'm trying to make the best of it!

Until tomorrow...

1 comment: