Monday, May 26, 2014

India Day 15: Mysore



Day 15
Today was a “free” day, though it was planned from early in the morning.  We boarded the bus at 6 AM (remember we I got back to the dorms at 2), and headed for Mysore which is about 4 hours away.  The bus was exceptionally quiet while we all slept or tried to sleep all the way.  What’s a road trip without a stop at McDonald’s, right?  So we stopped at McD’s for breakfast.  Their menu is pretty limited, but we all found something that worked for us.  I had, just the previous day, mentioned that I really wanted an orange juice, so I was excited to be able to order one.  Annnnd…it wasn’t actual OJ.  It was a Minute Maid orange flavored water like substance with “pulp” in it=I was disappointed and didn’t drink it all.  

We arrived in Mysore after some beautiful views as we turned curves in the road, and roamed around a bit.  We did some shopping, visited a temple which we didn’t go inside of because the lines were forever, had some fresh veggies, and then visited Mysore Palace.  It is beautiful, and Huge!!  It belonged to one of the royalty of India during the British rule in the mid or late 1800’s.  We weren’t allowed to take pictures, and much of the inside is replicated anyhow, but I can imagine that in its day, the space was exquisite!  Paintings on the ceilings, intricate tiles lining the floors and walls, pillars in the wedding hall painted a beautiful blue, a court surrounding the entrance where guests and dignitaries would sit, expansive marble floors, hand carved wood ceilings and doors, wood doors with inlaid ivory (which are sadly covered in plastic panes so that no one digs out the ivory).   It was very pretty:  Despite the touristy feel, I’m glad we went.  Though I wasn’t too terribly fond of wandering around without shoes, we got them back easily and none were missing.

Following the Palace tour, we wound our way thru the exit where, of course, there were items to buy and Animals To Ride!!  You’d think this group had died and gone to heaven.  There were two elephants and two camels.  I, along with everyone else had wanted to see an elephant while here, and we did get to see an elephant.  Everyone ran to buy tickets and get in line.  I hung back not wanting to take part.  I knew that it was possible that we’d have the opportunity to ride various animals while here, and I knew months ago that I wouldn’t pay to do so.  Just as I expected, the animals are not well kept.  The camels looked better than the elephants, though that doesn’t say much.  There were uncombed with dead hair visible on their necks, and it was hot and they likely had not had breaks in a long time.  The elephants are a little more telling:  They had tumors growing on them; one on the side of a face, the other on the leg, at least one of them had significant cataracts, his eyes white and blind.  They would come to a stop at the loading stand, lean their poor heads against the stand and wrap their trunks around the bottom.  Their eyes were so sad, and they had little energy, using it all to try to fan themselves with their trunks.  I just wanted to go unfasten everything and give them a good hosing off with cool water and then love on them for as long as they’d let me.  Everyone wanted to know why I didn’t take part.  My only answer was that I have a fundamental issue with how the animals are treated and I won’t pay to support it.  A couple of people told me after the ride that the understood what I meant, one even mentioned that while sitting on top of the elephant, she thought to herself, “This isn’t right.”  And it’s not.  Please don’t pay to ride on animals.  They aren’t meant to be commodities, they are wild animals.  

By the end of the day, we were all completely exhausted.  We got back on the bus and everyone was quiet.  Most of us tried to sleep, though we were all quite uncomfortable.  We stopped at a coffee shop for some munchies and got back on the road.  We finally arrived back to crash after midnight.  Let me tell you, I slept so hard!  All in all, it was a good day despite the length and fatigue.  Our trip is coming to an end very quickly.  There’s a lot left to do in very little time.  We’ve got to make the best of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment