Sunday, May 11, 2014

India Day 2: Elephanta Caves and Shopping

We started our day early today trying to avoid the heat and the crowds.  I'm so glad we did!  Most of us are sunburned, and the crowds were unbearable on the island as we left.

Elephanta Caves are on a small island about 45 minutes, by ferry, from Mumbai (Bombay).  We passed by The Gate of Bombay constructed when the British left India (very beautiful!) and got on to the ferry.  The breeze on the water was nice, very cooling.  I was completely shocked when I saw a man finish a juice box and simply chuck it over the side of the boat.  It took everything I had not to gawk at him.  I asked about this and I was told that there are not enough waste baskets and since people can't just carry their trash, the must just drop it where they are.  I found this unbelievable and tried to explain "Leave No Trace" to the kind girls hosting us-it wasn't well understood.  We even explained that when you go scuba diving, you don't touch the turtles because it's illegal.  The remark was that no one will know because you're under the sea.

So, on to Elephanta we went.  There was a moderately steep walk up some very uneven stairs to get to the caves.  We saw our first "Indian Monkeys" on the way.  Actually monkeys which are quite comical--until they take your food and all but laugh at you while they eat it and stare you in the eye.  Photos are coming tomorrow of the animals.

We also saw a few goats, many dogs, and a very large cow.  They were all hits as we are animal loving Americans.  Though the real excursion was to the caves.  These are caves that have within them carved statues of the Hindu Gods.  Carved by the Portuguese, and then destroyed by the same, they are beautiful relics of the history of the nation.

We shopped this afternoon.  Oh my goodness, did we shop!  I'm not much of a shopper to start with, so when you had very hot heat, modest (read:  long) clothing, and very many people in very small spaces, you get a very tired Me.  I did buy a couple of items.  Most everything here is so cheap!  Clothing for a few dollars is just crazy to me.  And many people here wear these clothes.  Though they may be more expensive to locals than the seem to us.  I think Indians would be shocked at the clothing prices in America.  Actually, I think Indians would be shocked at the price of everything in America.  I bought 2 liters of water today for $1.

My feet were doing better this morning and most of the day.  Unfortunately, a beer and then extensive shopping led to them swelling again.  Not as sore as yesterday, but not very comfortable right now.  I think the water is helping.  For the first 18 hours or so that we were here, we kept being told to drink water, drink water, but we were only being given juice-size glasses of water at a time.  So I bought many liters and have had almost 3 today.  I feel like a new person!

I'm including a couple of photos from yesterday, today's will be posted tomorrow (hopefully).

Until then...Keep on Burning...

 Train Station in Mumbai
Train Station in Mumbai
 Coast line of Mumbai--The camera settings were off so you can't see all the trash
 Hanging Gardens--A park in the city
A street corner as we passed

No comments:

Post a Comment