Monday, May 26, 2014

India Day 16: An Indian Wedding & Bangalore Around Town

Oh my goodness, today was amazing!  The girls and Zaheer started the morning early with an Indian wedding (the one that we essentially invited ourselves to).  It was so wonderful!  The family of the bride insisted that we go up on the mandap (sort of similar to a bimah or a pulpit), and they even asked us to take part in the ceremony.  We threw rice at the couple as a sort of blessing, and in pairs, we poured milk over the couples hands and then rice over their heads before blessing them.  They were so gracious!  After the ceremony while the couple was still taking photographs and everyone was still seated, the bride's sisters ushered us into another room to have lunch.  We were seated and served before anyone else.  In front of us on the table we found banana leaves which our lunch was served on.  It was traditional Indian food and everything was very good!  It was the first meal that I ate without the option of utensils.

A little bit of information on this Indian wedding:  The marriage was arranged by the family(ies) and the bride and groom are cousins.  Apparently the wedding was tame, but to me it was colorful and loud, and very exciting!  The Families of the couple didn't buy new clothes or shoes, didn't get nails done, or hair or makeup, though the bride and groom looked wonderful.  Both in white traditional Indian clothing.  It was a wonderful way to start the day.

We followed our morning with shopping!  We shopped on Commercial Street and the surrounding areas.  I finished finding gifts for all of my people in time to go to the Isckon Temple a little south of where we're staying with Professor Dembla.  It was just the two of us which was a nice change to the group dynamic for a couple of hours.  We talked about religion and culture as we climbed the steps to the temple.  It was busy and hurried from start to finish, so the calming, spiritual experience that Professor Dembla was looking for was pretty much a lost cause.  Though a beautiful site with the gold alter and bright, colorful Gods, it struck me as very commodity-like.  I was a little disturbed by this as the point of religion is never to make money (in my mind).  Despite this, I'm glad I went as it was an interesting experience all around and I got to see a little more of India than I might have otherwise.  

The evening was filled with dinner and much needed quiet time.  During dinner, about half the group was planning to go do something off campus.  It was quite hurtful because those who were planning were doing so in front of the rest of us but not including us in the plans.  They didn't tell us where they were going or ask us if we were interested in joining them.  The ironic thing is, had I been invited, I would not have gone.  I don't want to take part in what they are doing.  But it would have been appreciated to have been included.

I ended the evening with a conversation about my hurt feelings with Nate, the youngest group member who is also one of the most mature, and is very wise.  He helped me realize that it was me being singled out which made it a little easier.  I don't care to be friends with people who behave this way, and I therefore don't care that they don't want me around.

It was a good day, overall, and I'm glad to be learning the lessons I'm learning.  I will surely carry them forever.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment