Saturday, May 10, 2014

India: Flight and 1st Day

After nearly 24 hours of travel time, we have arrived in India (Mumbai).  We breezed through customs and baggage claim as it was only 3 AM yet, only to be accosted by a bunch of squawking Indian men looking to help us with our bags for $1/$2/$20.  There was a delay among our group as our drivers attempted to figure out where our bags would fit, which, I'm told, is quite common here.  Nothing gets done quickly, I'm told.

My feet were extraordinarily swollen upon arrival.  An issue that was somewhat bettered by rest and elevation, but hindered today as we spent the whole day around town with our hosts.  They are a group of students from Mumbai College's HR College, and they are wonderful!  Kind, informative, eager to teach and learn:  We know that we'll enjoy spending our first week with them!

This morning, after breakfast, a couple of us went for a short walk with Professor Dembla around the block.  Our first glimpse of the city in the daylight, and WOW, is it dirty!  I can't even describe it.  Trash, rubble, stray animals, people sleeping smack in the middle of the sidewalk...not to mention the smell.  It comes and goes, stronger in some spaces than others, and a real adjustment.  The natives simply go about their business. Dr. Dembla told us just to ignore those sleeping in the streets, to just take it in as scenery.  I'll try to do so, but it's hard when you are raised believing that it's somehow your job to make things better.  It's such a vast issue here.  We're told that the government made apartments available to some of these people, and that they chose to stay on the street and rent their spaces out for income.

Divya and some of my classmates just arrived back at the hotel after an evening excursion to a market.  I'm excited to hear what the did and saw.  I came back to rest my feet.  Our hotel is in the middle of the city.  It's not in an area that I would consider "safe" at home, but it seems to be fine.  Our rooms are simple, but offer everything we require. 

The food has been wonderful so far!  flavors and experiences never before imagined.  We had a "chai" drink today.  Not like Starbucks Chai Tea (at All), it was curd with spices and tapioca. I did try it, I didn't care for it.  Otherwise, lunch was so tasty.  The service reminded me of The Druze Village as they just keep giving you more food.  But it's so good, you can't say no!

Tomorrow will undoubtedly be busy as well.  I'll try to remember to upload some pictures before posting.  Internet has proven to be difficult here as we have to pay so time is limited.  I haven't been able to talk to Erik which frustrates me because that was my one big worry aside from the flight, but I'm trying to take it in stride and enjoy the experiences as they come.  Hopefully one of my classmates can troubleshoot my wifi issue, and/or the next hotel (in Goa) will be a little more user friendly.

Until then, Keep On Burning!

No comments:

Post a Comment