Thursday, May 22, 2014

India Day 13: Bangalore & Tech Mahindra

I was not feeling well this morning.  I had a bit of a stomach bug most of the day, so I didn't eat breakfast or lunch.  I managed a piece of bread at our site visit to Tech Mahindra (they gave us sandwiches and tea), and some rice and a piece of bread for dinner.  I was feeling really, really badly during our meeting, so a 2 hour nap following our visit didn't hurt anything.  My tummy feels better for now.  A good night's sleep will do the trick I think.

Unfortunately, I felt so badly that I couldn't even pretend to pay attention.  Cold chills, dizzy head, and stomach cramps don't make for a good day.  I actually felt very rude to be so "uninterested," when I actually was simply trying to keep breathing and not vomit all over their board room.  I did get, however, that they are into everything:  Farm equipment, IT, app development...the list goes on and on.  I wish I'd felt better...or better yet, that I'd stayed in my room to sleep.

Our lecture this morning was somewhat interesting.  Our Professor showed a few videos that were pretty interesting.  They were about social media and what kind of an effect they have on the world, IT, and marketing.  The statistics are pretty interesting.  I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the link and share it.

I am currently listening to a conversation between 2 local girls and some of my roommates about plans to go out for tomorrow...It's kind of funny.  No one can agree on anything, and no one will say what they want to do. 

I'm very excited to visit Narayana Health tomorrow!  They built a conglomerate in a span of 10 years from a 300 bed facility to a 5,700 bed operation.  They house the largest cancer center in India, dialysis units, tertiary care in liver, kidney, and heart transplants, and a large telemedicine network.  I'm looking very forward to talking to them and learning about the systems and processes in the healthcare system here in India.

We have some more shopping to do, many of us need to work on gifts for family, which we are told we can take care of this in Mysore (Saturday) and Bangalore (around town Sunday).  We're all excited for a couple of days of site seeing and fun.  These last days have been pretty packed and morale is slipping some.  Some of the group members are even counting days until they get to go home.  I feel like over all, there are many opportunities to improve on this trip.  We discussed this with Professor Dembla, and she agreed with some of our suggestions.  This being the first trip to India, I think it's a learning experience for all of us and that those lessons will be well used in the future.   

We had a discussion  the other day about a Global Learning certification.  We've each completed half of it with this study abroad, and we'd have to take part in a planning process for some international education programming.  We are also going to get information on hosting international students similarly to the students who have hosted us here.  I'm so excited about this!!  I would love to answer questions and show students around my home town!  More information on that when I get home and have access to it.

It's very late here and I need to get some rest to be ready for our visit tomorrow.  I'm trying to work on a post about overall reflections on India.  Eventually I'll get that written, though it may take a couple of weeks.

Until tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment